Becoming a Surrogate Mother
We thank you for your interest in helping another family experience the joys of having a child. Below is a list of requirements for those interested in becoming a surrogate mother with The Surrogacy Source. Before you begin your application, we ask that your carefully review the surrogate mother requirements listed below.
Each of our surrogate mothers is required to:
- Be a female of 21-38 years of age
- Have delivered one or more children that you are currently raising
- Have had past pregnancies without complications (for example: gestational diabetes, high blood pressure, pre-eclampsia)
- Live in California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Nevada, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, or Texas
- Be a non-smoker, living in a non-smoking home
- Be a non-drug user
- Have a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 30 or less
- Own a vehicle, for transportation to and from appointments
- Not currently be receiving federal/state financial assistance
- Have no history of arrests or substance abuse
- Undergo a background check (husband/partner needs to as well)
- Undergo medical examination (STDs, drug test, Hepatitis test, pelvic exam, etc)
Why are there so many surrogate mother requirements?
Our surrogate mother requirements may seem strict, but they have been defined in order to protect the health of potential future surrogates and newborns. For instance, it is required that surrogate mother candidates did not have any complications in their previous pregnancies. If a candidate has had complications in the past, it is more likely that complications will occur in their next pregnancy and their health as well as the child’s could be put at risk. Other requirements are more straightforward such as looking for non-smokers and non-drug users. If you have any questions about the surrogate mother requirements listed above or the surrogate mother process, please don’t hesitate to contact us.